There is no point to the challenge except the joy of discovering and reading African literature. The challenge runs for the whole of 2012 and eligible books include those which are written by African writers, or take place in Africa, or are concerned with Africans and with historical and contemporary African issues. At least 3 books must be written by African writers.
Here is a preliminary list of my favourites but I'll post more:
- The Joys of Motherhood by Buchi Emecheta,
- The Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Adiche
- Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Adiche,
- Story of an African Farm by Olive Shreiner
- Heremakanon by Maryse Conde
- and any short stories by Aidoo, Ama Ata.