Something dug up from the library, in Shakespeare's First Folio:
1. Sometimes I Feele so trapp’d by iambic pentameter... Does that make me a Freake?
2. I haue been Knowne to cry at Bear-baiting.
3. I am not uery ticklish. I am Not. So prithee, do not euen try. Waste. Of. Time.
4. I cannot keep Lice, and know not why.
5. Sometimes I thinke plays are all Talke, Talke Talke, and wish for a cart-chase scene. I tried one in The Merry Wives, but it looked like Shitte, so I cut it. The men playing the horses were so Pissed at me.
6. I once threw vp on a man's head, from a high Windowe. I was so fvcking Sicke that Daye.
7. I hate to wear a Ruff, for I haue such a pleasing Necke.
8. As a player, I am painful-slow to learn my part. Once whilst playing Edward I, I used the prompter so ouermuch that a groundling yell’d ~Stop interrupting, Will! And it was my Dadde. (Kydding!)
9. Sometimes when I am Stvck for a rhyme, I new-mint a Worde because I jvst want to get the Damned script ovt the fvcking doore.
10. I play the Flute yet poorly, but I can make any crumhorn beg for Mercy.
11. When I am happy I call Anne my Kicky-wicky. When I am cross I call her “Olde Fun Killer Hag-Ass.”
12. I keepe my Stashe hidden in our seconde best bedde. Shhh. Don’t tell the Fyve-Oh.
13. The people that loue my Wordes the best are always the most disappointed vpon meeting me. Is thisse List ouer yet?
14. On the topic of dating, my daughter Susanna loues to remind me: ~Jvliet was only thirteen! And I remind her that i) she was Italian, an impulsive race ii), she was actually played by a middle-aged Eunuch named Ned, and iii) she died. That always shvts her right vp.
15. I deteste it when the Low-Comedians improuise the scenes I writ them… becavse they always make them so mvch fvnnier.
16. I haue, on occasion, thovght abovt hiring a Boy to fixe my Latin.
17. When I was sixe, my Goode-Friend Charles brovght to Schoole a wood-cut of his mother, qvite naked. After that we called him Charles Nudie-Mummy, whiche did make him Crye.
18. I take my eggs ouer-medium. If I get them O’er-Easily, I tell my Porter, ~You may thinke this is what I ordered, but it’s snot. I thinke that one is a real Slap-A-Th’Knee.
19. I work ovt my calues thrice weekly, usvally three pyramid sets of Calf-Rises whilst holding a flagon of Meade. I knowe I should stretch afterwards, but it Bores me so I do it not.
20. As a boy in my Bed, I would shriek i’the night that Witches wovld come to eat me. My Mother (bless her) wovld smooth my Hair and whispr ~ Be not afear’d, the Witches onlie eat the Jews.
21. Whitsuntide has become so commercial.
22. Nobody euer forgets where they were the moment they heard that Thomas Kyd died. I was shopping for codpieces in West Cheape. I came ovt of the Change-room and the proprietress was i’tears. I said ~What is it, now?~Kyd is dead. There was a melancholy qviet, and then she said ~And that Piece is a mite too small on ye.
23. Euery time we do the Taming of the Shrew, some pvnter wants his Money backe, because we don’t actually show a shrew getting tamed.
24. I do not vnderstand all the Fvss over Currants. Sure, they are both sweet and Small, but must they bee added to EUERY FVCKING MEAL these days? Yestermonth, found I currants in a Tarte of Spinnedge. I meane come on, People. Seriovsly.
25. When I am feeling Melancholic, I console myselfe with the Knowledge that, aboue all else, I will be remembered for my Musick.
©2009 Mike McPhaden